Thursday 6 November 2008

Ten Ten Tei

I hate November. The weather is grim, the days are short, and let's face it, everything natural dies. I used to wallow in the misery of dark November days, wear black, listen Morrissey and read Thomas Hardy. Nowadays, I am less of a masochist. In fact, I try and do things, such as drinking and eating, that simply take my mind off the fact that it is the month of gloom.

It was partly with this in mind then that I cycled down to Ten Ten Tei, 56 Brewer Street, last night. In this simple Japanese diner I sought diversion from my moody Novembery contemplations.

Aided by the companionship of JA and RK we surveyed the vast menu that greeted us. Ten Ten Tei seemingly have everything: ramen, udon, soba, sushi, sashimi, donburi, fish, meat and veg dishes. That said, I was mildly disappointed by the lack of cha-han, something I am increasingly craving for (anyone know a place?).

Anyway, we gave our choices to the friendly but firm waitress and were soon rewarded with some exciting dishes. Most comment worthy were perhaps the cricket ball size, very tasty minced pork/potato croquettes. The quality of the fish was excellent too with the standard tuna sushi turning out to be made using a high quality buttery cut of flesh.




The 'tofu steak' was a generous and tasty alternative to the usual deep fried variety while the buta shoga (pork in ginger) and tempura were average but welcome. The niku jaga was fairly uninspiring although JA was pleased with the stock and wild for the gyoza.

My two friends also took a shine to the bottle of Bulldog tonkatsu sauce on the table. I tried to explain the manufacturer's rise to fame as a result of the attempted Steel Partners takeover bid, but probably failed to flesh it out properly - for those who are interested in the juicy details, click here. Perhaps more of a conversational highlight was RK talking about boisterous Ozzies when it later emerged that the two, very quiet, men on the adjacent table were indeed Antipodeans. Woops.

All in all Ten Ten Tei is good for a reasonably priced (about £15 ahead including a drink), authentic Japanese restaurant. It's been open about 20 years and there is a reasssuring presence of afterwork parties of Japanese salarymen.

The mystery of why Brewer Street is a little Japan Town continues....

No comments: